Chapelle des Marins de Saint-ValeryBack
Chapelle des Marins de Saint-Valery
The original chapel (very old, Romanesque architecture) stood on one of the finest viewpoints overlooking the Baie. It was built over the tomb of the apostle of Vimeu. A new chapel (in Neo-Gothic style) was built in its place in 1878, under the aegis of Father Caron, priest and historian of Saint-Valery-sur-Somme from 1872 to 1893. It has traditional 'checkerboard' walls, alternating limestone and flint. Below the building stands the miraculous well of Fidélité (Faithfulness), which was fully and carefully restored in 2013.